You must not steal.
The Ba’al Shem Tov teaches that everything we see can teach us some lesson in how to better fulfill our Divine mission and spiritual potential, we can also elevate a forbidden character trait or action by learning from it. Thus, Rabbi Zusha of Anipoli listed seven traits of a thief that we should emulate:
1. He works silently, modestly, and without fanfare.
2. He is prepared to face danger in order to carry out his mission.
3. He pays full attention even to the smallest detail.
4. He works hard.
5. He works quickly, not wasting any time.
6. He is confident and optimistic.
7. If he does not succeed the first time, he tries again and again.
If we apply these traits to positive endeavors, we have not merely avoided stealing but elevated its redeeming characteristics, as well.
—From the Kehot Chumash